Wednesday 4 June 2008

Coding and coders

Having just received the coding scheme from the previous study on which this project is based, I'm quite happy that I can put something together once my supervisor finally materialises.

There are two poles I could aim at; either a large sample and a very statistical overview; or a small sample and a more qualitative investigation.

On the other hand, even with a small sample I could focus more on form (design features) of the blogs, or on their content (post topics and references).

Either way, feasibility is a major factor. One way to avoid the question almost entirely is to base my coding scheme mostly on what's gone before to aim for a good comparison; this would also mean a fairly design-oriented taxonomy which could make for less time-consuming coding.

No comments: